ByWTOC Staff|December 9, 2020 at 7:11 AM EST - Updated December 9 at 7:15 AM
PEMBROKE, Ga. (WTOC) - The city Christmas Tree in downtown Pembroke caught on fire Tuesday night.
A police officer spotted the fire and firefighters were able to put it out before it spread.
Right now, officials with the Downtown Development Authority believe the skirting around the tree caught fire from the lights. They are using this as a reminder for residents to check their own Christmas lights and trees. They say to make sure there are no open sockets on your string lights and don’t overload outlets.
They also say to keep loose fabrics aways from your tree, and if you have a live tree, be sure to give it plenty of water.
Copyright 2020 WTOC. All rights reserved.