ByWTOC Staff|March 13, 2020 at 1:56 PM EDT - Updated March 16 at 3:15 PM
(WTOC) - Several school systems in the WTOC viewing have decided to cancel or make changes to the upcoming school calendar due to COVID-19 concerns.
- Appling County School Systemwill close schools to all students and staff Monday, March 16, for a two week period. The school system will evaluate the situation before Monday, March 30th to make further decisions regarding returning to school. School and district activities are currently canceled or postponed.
- Bacon County Schoolswill be closed beginning Monday, March 16 through March 27.
- Brantley County School Systemwill be closed to students from Tuesday, March 17th to Monday, March 30th. At that point and time, the district will update families as to school closure recommendations from the Governor’s Office, CDC, and Department of Health. Spring Break for Brantley County Schools is still April 6th-10th.
- Bulloch County Schoolswill be closed beginning Monday, March 16 through March 27.
- Evans County Schoolswill be closed beginning Monday, March 16 through March 29. All school and extra-curricular activities will be suspended during this time. At this time, Spring Break will be observed on April 6-10.
- The school system is working to create feeding sites so meals can continue for students: Lacasa, Hagan Park, Daisy Fire Station, St. John Missionary Baptist Church, Canoochee Properties, Rolling Oaks II, Claxton Elementary School, Cleo Griffin Center @ Nancy Hendrix Homes
- Effingham County Schoolswill close on Wednesday, March 18th until further notice. All after-school activities will be canceled starting Monday. Teachers will send home various activities for students, and plans are being made to provide meals for students. They will reevaluate the closure on a weekly basis.
- Starting Wednesday, March 18, they will be sending out 10 buses with food to rural parts of county to help feed students similar to their summer program. More information will be available on their Facebook.
- Emanuel County Schoolshas announced that they will close starting March 17th and last through March 27th. The school system will announce an updated plan on Thursday, March 26th.
- Glynn County Public Schoolswill be closed beginning Tuesday, March 17 and will remain closed until after spring break. Distance and online learning will begin for students on Wednesday, March 18 and continue through Friday, April 3. Classes will tentatively resume Monday, April 13 after spring break.
- Jeff Davis County Schoolswill be closed starting Monday, March 16 until Friday, March 27. Starting Saturday, March 14, all extra-curricular activities, field trips, and school functions will be canceled. The district will reevaluate the status of these activities again on Friday, March 20.
- Long County Schoolswill be closed beginning Monday, March 16 through March 27.
- McIntosh County Schoolswill be closed beginning Tuesday, March 17th until April 13th.
- Montgomery County Schoolswill close on Tuesday, March 17th through March 27th.
- Robert Toombs Christian Academywill be closed March 16 through March 27. Athletic events are postponed starting March 16 through April 10.
- Screven County Schoolswill be closed beginning Monday, March 16 through March 27
- Savannah Classical Academy will transition to an all online distance learning format after spring break. Students will complete the semester’s curriculum online.
- Tattnall County School Systemwill be closed for two weeks beginning on Monday, March 16 in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19. The school system states a decision will be made prior to Monday, March 30 to determine if it is safe to return to school at that time.
- Toombs County School Systemwill be closed for two weeks beginning on Monday, March 16 through Friday, March 27. Effective Monday, March 16th, all other school activities are suspended for one week. They will make the decision on restarting extracurricular activities by the end of next week.
- Vidalia City Schoolswill be closed through Friday, March 27. They say further will be posted on the school system site. Extracurricular activities will also shut down for two weeks. There will also be no sports practice.
- Wayne County Schoolswill be closed Tuesday, March 17 through Friday, April 10. Faculty and staff members will also not report to work during this time.
College and technical school closures:
- Savannah College of Art and Designwill hold all classes online for the Spring 2020 quarterdue to concernsover the spread of COVID-19.
- Savannah Technical Collegehas made the decision to extend spring break until March 28, 2020, and to close all campuses and suspend activities for the next two weeks. Beginning March 30, Savannah Technical College anticipates moving all classes online.
- Technical College of the Lowcountry is closing all campuses through Tuesday, March 31. Employees are advised to consult with your supervisor for details. All classes – credit, continuing education, in-person and online – are canceled during this time. Summer and fall registration is postponed to April 1. If you have any questions, please email@example.com call 843-525-8207.
- The University System of Georgia hastemporarily suspended classesfor two weeks at all of their institutions. This includes Georgia Southern University, Savannah State University, East Georgia State College, and College of Coastal Georgia.
S.C. Governor closes all schools, recommends large gatherings cancel as number of coronavirus cases rises
Photo: Getty Images